Show image

Making a Killing with Bethany McLean

Listen on

Season 1

Rana Foroohar wonders: What are companies actually for?
play
Play now

Also available in

Financial Times columnist, CNN analyst and author Rana Foroohar has a question for you. Since only 15% of the money that is flowing out of the largest financial institutions is making it into the real economy... where’s the other 85% going? In this episode, Bethany and Rana discuss the problem of "financialization" which essentially means that trading had become an end in and of itself, rather than a facilitation of business. Finance was supposed to be an intermediary, an enabler of business; it’s not supposed to be the end game. This of course resulted in the 2008 financial crisis, but since then, well, what has happened? Big banks have gotten even bigger. And our society is growing restive...