Malcolm Gladwell is president and co-founder of Pushkin Industries. He is a journalist, a speaker, and the author of six New York Times bestsellers including The Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers,…
Subscribe to Pushkin+ to binge Malcolm Gladwell's full 6-episode gun series early and ad-free! Your membership also gets you access to exclusive opportunities across Pushkin's full network of podcasts.
Helen Slote Levitt was on her way to the good life in 1950s Hollywood. Then one day, her name appeared on a list. The story of an ordinary woman whose world was upended by extraordinary times.
- Larry Ceplair, The Inquisition in Hollywood: Politics in the Film Community, 1930-1960
- Judy Chaikin’s film “Legacy of the Hollywood Blacklist”
- “Position of the Young Communists in Brooklyn College,” [undated]
- “Hearings before the Committee on Un-American Activities House of Representatives Eighty Second Congress First Session: September 17, 18, and 19.” For Helen Levitt’s testimony, see pg 1549, for Al Levitt’s testimony, see pg 1552.
- Sophie Hayssen, “The Red Scare: How Joseph McCarthy’s Anti-Communist Hysteria Left a Mark on the US” Teen Vogue
Special thanks to the Center for Oral History Research, Library Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.