Lord of the Rankings
For 30 years, US News & World Report has been using a secret formula to rank the best colleges and universities in the United States. As a public service to our listeners, we hack the algorithm and discover the dirty little secret of the rankings game.
- Huaying Qiu and Wenxin Du, “A True Lie about Reed College: US News Ranking”
- Chris Lydgate, “Reed and the Rankings Game”
- Casey Dougal, Pengjie Gao, William J. Mayew, and Chris Parsons “What’s in a (school) name? Racial discrimination in higher education bond markets”
- “Some Colleges Have More Students from the Top 1 Percent Than the Bottom 60. Find Yours,” New York Times
- Houshman’s Hazardous Hot Sauce
Special thanks to Kelly McConville’s former students Huaying Qiu, Bailee Cruger and Wenxin Du.