Prison & Police Abolition: Finding True Safety
Abolitionist Mariame Kaba is the founder of Project NIA and the author of the New York Times bestseller, We Do This ‘Til We Free Us: Abolitionist Organizing and Transforming Justice.
Kaba and Dr. Kendi have a profound discussion on why mass surveillance, police, punishment, and incarceration will never create a safe society—and what will.
For a transcript of this episode, click here.
FURTHER READING + RESOURCES
- We Do This 'Til We Free Us: Abolitionist Organizing and Transforming Justice by Mariame Kaba
- Are Prisons Obsolete by Angela Y. Davis
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison by Michel Foucault
- The End of Policing by Alex Vitale
- The First Civil Right: How Liberals Built Prison America by Naomi Murakawa
- Ear Hustle Podcast
- Golden Gulag: Prisons, Surplus, Crisis, and Opposition in Globalizing California by Ruth Wilson Gilmore
- How to Share Space: Creating Community in Classrooms and Beyond
- PIC 101 Curriculum
ORGANIZATIONS TO SUPPORT