The Judgment of Helen Levitt
Helen Slote Levitt was on her way to the good life in 1950s Hollywood. Then one day, her name appeared on a list. The story of an ordinary woman whose world was upended by extraordinary times.
- Larry Ceplair, The Inquisition in Hollywood: Politics in the Film Community, 1930-1960
- Judy Chaikin’s film “Legacy of the Hollywood Blacklist”
- “Position of the Young Communists in Brooklyn College,” [undated]
- “Hearings before the Committee on Un-American Activities House of Representatives Eighty Second Congress First Session: September 17, 18, and 19.” For Helen Levitt’s testimony, see pg 1552.
- Sophie Hayssen, “The Red Scare: How Joseph McCarthy’s Anti-Communist Hysteria Left a Mark on the US” Teen Vogue
Special thanks to the Center for Oral History Research, Library Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.